Monday 16 February 2009

What a Laugh!

(Btw, this first post on my new blog is for Isabel and Mica, who said they liked my former blog. "Thanks!" to you gals in Argentina:)

Today, Monday, teaching day, I was leading my first class (starts at 3 pm) through some exercises with their new book--"Hello! Nice to meet you!"--when one of the young elementary students fell off his chair. He wasn't goofing around or anything. He wasn't moving at the time. He just fell off. Completely. Onto the floor.

Now, for a second, what just happened did not register with me. I think my brain refused to comprehend it. Students don't usually fall out of their chairs.

Sure, maybe if they are leaning back in the chair--last month three students did that in one day, and I have gotten very strict about keeping all 4 chair legs on the floor. Seriously, someone could get hurt.

But this kid wasn't leaning back. He wasn't even moving. He just fell off.

After a few seconds I did realize what had happened, noticed the kid was ok (laughing at himself), and I made a funny face, pointed at the kid, and looked at his fellow classmates.

They cracked up.

We had a mini-laughfest, which he was nice enough to join in on.

A few other kids tried to mimic him, so I had to put a stop to the whole scene, but it still cracks me up now, about 7 hours later.

No comments: