Sunday 17 May 2009

Goin' to Market


















A co-worker at my new school was nice enough to take a walk and show me how to get to the closest market. It's about a 15-20 minute walk. (The last pic is the front entrance.) I do plenty of shopping at grocery stores in Korea, but--as you might expect--most of the food in market areas is both cheaper and fresher. Tomatoes and lettuce are two of the things I like to buy from locals . . . and that's another thing--I'd much rather give my money directly to the people who grow/make the food rather than to some large supermarket chain.

Anyway, this one is similar to the others I have shopped at, except that the stalls are mixed; instead of most of the produce being grouped together, and then the seafood, and the ready-to-eat stuff, I saw one followed by the other in some seemingly random order. In a way it makes it more interesting though. Also, this market area, while not huge, is covered. That's a plus.
We saw three kids from our school with their mom as well as a basket full of chickens' feet. Both were market firsts for me. So was the dog carcass (skinned) at the butcher's stall. I avoided taking that picture. I've eaten it (once), but don't feel the need to have the pre-meal image.

No comments: