Saturday 12 September 2009

Back to the Dentist

I went back to the dentist today to get a filling replaced. The old one had disappeared and my tooth was in need of service. Lasted a long time, that old one did.

I don't like going to the dentist. Not many people do, I guess, so that should be no big surprise.

I have to say though, that this large office in Seoul, recommended by korea4expats.com, deep in the heart of the cosmetic surgery district, is pretty damn upscale: A big modern office (their reception/waiting area is the size of a tennis court, very nicely appointed); courteous, uniformed staff, some of whom are fluent in English (and should be as the office advertises for foreigners); attached cosmetic and eye surgery clinics; even a tea/coffee while-you-wait bar (not, I think, meant for dental patients, though I was offered a beverage today, maybe because I showed up 20 minutes early).

It does kind of relax you.

But then the first words out of my dentist's mouth, after a polite greeting, were, "I'm going to give you a local anesthetic."

End of relaxation.

Immediate trepidation.

After all, why deaden the mouth with drugs unless pain is anticipated?

Next, after the right side of my face is experiencing what stroke victims maybe feel: "Raise your left hand if you feel any pain."

And the drilling began.

Wasn't that bad, actually. No pain, and I regained enough feeling two hours after I left to eat some well-deserved lunch.

And only cost about $100. Not bad at all for upscale.

No comments: