Friday 1 July 2011

Thoughts

American food variety: great

Korean public transportation: great

One of my thoughts--given that I live in South Korea but am visiting the U.S. for several months--is that we Americans are fortunate to have such a variety of food. From restaurants to grocery stores, it is fairly easy to eat a wide selection of food. I have managed, for example, in each place I have visited this summer, to buy kimchi (2 out of 3 have been good). The local shopping mall where I am now in Maryland has a nice "ethnic" food court.

Something that I have not enjoyed is that you have to drive to get anywhere. People here are accustomed to 10-30 minute car trips to go to a shopping area or restaurant. The multi-use areas in Korea seem increasingly desirable, as I can walk to most places in 5-10 minutes from where I live. However, I like the quiet nature of the living areas I have visited in the U.S., so it's a give-take situation, a trade-off.

No comments: