Sunday 24 June 2012

Faves

Two of my favorite Korean foods--not main dishes, but things unique to Korea--are sesame leaves and small dried anchovies in red pepper paste.




While I call them "sesame" leaves (and they are referred to as "wild sesame"), the real name is "perilla" and apparently the two plants are not closely related.  However, to my (perhaps uncultured) palate they taste the same.

The leaves are often included fresh in the basket of lettuce that you might have seen in my Korean grilled meat dinner pictures.  They are used, along with lettuce, to wrap up grilled meat and other assorted foods, aka a "Korean taco".

Here, the leaves are packaged in oil and a bit of red pepper.

The dried anchovies come in all sizes, but I like this small/medium size, along with the red pepper sauce (고추정, gochujeong).

Delicious!