Sunday 23 September 2012

Fee, Fie, Fo, Fum!

On MWF's I am the only male teacher/person at our academy.  I work with 7 women, and, generally speaking, I like it that way.

Last week, on several occasions, I admonished some kids who were running, etc. in the hallway before and/or between classes.

My director--observing me in my self-appointed "enforcer" role--said, jokingly, "That's why we need a man here".

Along the same lines . . .

Friday I started teaching a new class, as one of my coworkers is pregnant and having problems with morning sickness.  If I teach her last class (I have to be at school that hour anyway, as I have a following class), then she can go home early.

This class has 5 boys, three of who I have taught before.  I asked my Korean co-teacher about the class, and she said they were worried about having me as a teacher because they knew I was strict.  They like to play vocabulary games, and they were worried they would not be able to do so with me as a teacher.

I found this amusing but understandable, so I had a short talk with them Friday night, our first class, about my expectations for the class (they are 6th graders).  We got along well--and not a word of Korean was spoken in class--so I have high hopes.

My female coworkers are perfectly capable of enforcing good behavior, and I salute them for the way in which they do so.  However, I recognize and utilize my status as  the "older male" teacher (I am 46; all of my coworkers are in their 30's), and it often eases the way toward behavior modification when needed (on the down side, it takes longer for me to get close to kids).