Saturday 22 December 2012

The NRA Says Violence Stops Violence

I have always had a kind of moderate attitude towards the NRA.  I'm talking about the National Rifle Association, which represents the interests of pro-gun advocates in the U.S.

I believe in the "right to bear arms", which is part of the American Constitution.

Sometime in the past I participated in a pistol safety training course run by the NRA, and my instructor was great.

That's the good side.

Enter the Newton elementary school shooting, and the NRA's response to it, part of which I caught last night on tv.

Quote by the NRA: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

What the @$#&!

I am now anti-NRA.

Why didn't the NRA come across strongly with a message of support for licencing, policing, training, and safety?  Why can't they acknowledge that there is a problem, and it has to do with an increasingly violent American culture?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. (Pun intended.)

I read recently that the U.S. is the most incarcerated nation in the world, with more than 2 million (2 MILLION!) people locked away.

People watch violence, they see the American government fighting wars, using drones to kill, and what is their natural inclination?

More violence.

I predict that the NRA is in for a well-deserved round of verbal abuse.



No comments: