Saturday 9 February 2013

Lunar New Year

It's Lunar New Year in Asia, one of the biggest holidays of the year.

If you watch CNN you might have noticed the mention of the phrase "the biggest human migration on Earth" with respect to China, where millions, or hundreds of millions, of people return to their family homes for the holiday.

South Korea is like that, though, of course, on a much smaller scale.

Almost all of my students--and I surveyed all of my classes--are going to their grandparents' homes for the holiday.

This means a mass exodus from Seoul, as few people were born here (I don't technically live in Seoul, but in the surrounding area).

As I write this, there are likely huge traffic jams on the highways, and buses, trains, and airplanes are filled up.

All of the people are returning to their family homes for the holiday.

Monday is a national holiday, and schools are closed Tuesday as well.

Happy Lunar New Year!

No comments: