Saturday 4 May 2013

Children's Day

May 5th is Children's Day in Korea, and this year the kids are getting a bum deal because what is supposed to be a holiday--as in no school, an extra free day to play--falls on a Sunday.

Poor kids.

One class of 2nd graders did inform me last week, just to make sure, that Children's day was coming up.

"Teacher, present please!"

"Why?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

A bit affronted, they responded in their limited English, "Teacher!  Children's Day!  Present!"

Never one to let a good opportunity pass by, I replied (with a serious face and tone), "You're big!  You're not children!"

"No, we are little!  Look . . ." and several of them got down on the floor.

Ah, the entertainment!

Seriously, such occasions are a good way to get my students to think about how to use new language, how to meld the English they have learned into coherent responses.

That's the plan anyway.

Sometimes I wonder what some of them tell their parents about me:)

No comments: