Sunday 24 January 2016

About Teaching at an Academy in South Korea

One of my 6th grade students told me last week that she didn't have time to do the homework that I assigned.

I asked her why, and she responded that she was going to 5 different academies (math, art, English, music, and Korean).

I like my job, teaching English to Korean elementary and middle school students, yet sometimes I feel the weight of it, knowing that I am responsible for some of the stress in their lives.

Kids should be free to play and have fun, right?

Clearly there is a problem with the Korean educational system; it is so structured towards preparing for the university examination, including a lot of rote learning and memorization.

At my academy we try to allow students to have some enjoyment in the learning process, whether by writing on the whiteboard, working in pairs, or doing presentations.

Children should have a balance in their lives between education and play.

Both are needed for personal development, yet one should not dominate the other.

The girl,  now a 6th grade student, who complained about homework, started in our school as a 1st grade phonics student (ABC's). Now she is typing essays, in English.

Reading her diary, however, I know--and am glad to read--that she gets to play some on her weekends.


No comments: