Sunday 16 October 2011

The Homework Code

Since I have been getting more new students lately (Many of my classes are filled up now--my academy has a max of 10 students per class) I have had to explain my homework code a number of times.

Let me show you an example . . .

At the end of class I write the students' homework on the whiteboard and they copy it onto their homework papers.

It would take too much time for me--and for the students--to fully write out everything, so we have established a mutually understandable code.  For example, I will write:

LG SB 22-23 RL3X
WB 22-23
NB-SB 23 C. W1X
Diary

That translates as:

1) Let's Go (the name of their textbook) student book pages 22-23 read and listen (they have an audio cd) 3 times

2) Do the workbook pages 22-23 (they match the student book pages)

3) In the students' notebook, they have to look at the student book and write the questions and answers that correspond to the assigned section (for example: Q: What does he want to be?  A: He wants to be an architect.)

4) Complete one weekend diary entry

The following class we either check the homework together or I check it individually as the students line up and show it to me.

Seems to work fine, but for new students the homework code is obviously confusing.

And that is just the basics:)

No comments: