Sunday 4 November 2012

Surprise Lunch

After the mud flats


The bus took us to a restaurant for lunch.  One of our group really wanted to eat shrimp cooked on a bed of salt; I had eaten this once before (cooked in the restaurant's kitchen and served at the table) on the east coast in Korea, but I was very surprised (to put it mildly) when the waitress opened the plastic box that she had set next to the burner and out wriggled/jumped several very large, live shrimp.



The heat of the pan put the shrimp out of their misery soon enough (I realize I am inviting attention from the SPCA), and we made short work of them--they were obviously fresh . . . juicy and delicious.





We followed the shrimp um with some 갈국수, kalguksu, or knife-cut homemade noodles.



Then the experienced member showed us how to eat the heads of the shrimp, though I admit I was a bit queasy about it and only nibbled at the neck meat.



No comments: