Friday 21 June 2013

X's

In one of my first classes on Tu/Th, 2 or 3 girls come early, and I go to the classroom early to start checking homework (otherwise it takes up too much class time).

Today, my bottle of water provided some entertainment.  I like to drink a brand of Korean mineral water:


It's relatively cheap (about $1 per bottle) and tastes great.

Anyway, the English name "Chojung" is written on one side of the bottle:


and the Korean name "Chojung TanSanSu" is written on the other side.


The girls were interested in the bottle, so I told them it was the bottle I reused and filled up at school every day.  I read the Korean side to them.

Oops!

They said, playfully, "Teacher, you spoke Korean in class, so you get an "X"! "

(X's are what many teachers use to motivate students to focus on using English in class.)

Somehow, though, the girls kept working the X's upward--they were writing them on the whiteboard--so I ended up with 18 or so X's.

They found that extremely funny:)

As long as they keep playing with English and don't get too silly, it's a good thing.

No comments: