Sunday 13 December 2015

Class Shopping

Last week I took 6 students from a young class (3rd grade) outside the academy to buy some snacks/candy.

It was a surprise.

First I told them that every student needed ten coins from my coin cup.

(We have played money games before, so they thought they knew what was coming.)

Then I went went out of the classroom, returned with my jacket, and said, "Let's go!"

The students looked at me as if I were demented.  "Go where?"

"Go shopping!" I replied.  "Your book says 'go shopping', so let's go."

They continued to stare a me.

Now, to be fair, we have never, ever ventured outside of the academy before, and I knew that I was going to be vastly entertained by their reactions to my plan.

"Grab your jackets and line up!" I told them.

"Really?" (Repeated 5+ times.)

"Teacher, really?"

"Yes," I said, laughing. I started walking toward the elevators.

I think it wasn't until we got into the elevator that they actually believed me, that we were going outside.

However, I told them, "This is still English class, so you need to speak English outside, ok?"

One girl looked at me and asked, "Even to Korean people?"

"Yes!" I replied, chuckling.

So we went to the candy store and had a great time, and, of course, when we got back, one of the students asked, "Teacher, can we go next time too?"

No comments: