Wednesday 2 December 2015

The Doctor

I went to the doctor yesterday.

I have been sick for about a week--sneezing, a runny nose, a bit of sinus stuffiness, etc.

Usually, especially when the seasons change, I get a mix of allergies that inevitably lead to a sinus infection.

That time seemed to have come, especially since I had an additional sore throat Sunday night.

So I went to see the doctor.

The ear, nose, and throat guy (E.N.T.).

His office is in my building, as is a pharmacy, and, since with South Korea's good health care I don't have to pay more than $5 for a visit to the doctor or $5 for medicine, it is a good opportunity to heal.

However, and I think that I have written about this before, there is the issue of the nasal camera.

This doctor has a slender metal stick, atop which is a camera.

While you sit in the (fortunately high-topped) chair, he brings out this little wand and says, "Don't move or you might have some discomfort."

Based on past experience I freeze.

I tense my body ad my head.

He says, "Relax," but I can't, because I know that one little movement will hurt.

The metal stick-camera is about 3 inches in length, and it always surprises me how far he can move it up my nasal cavity.

There is a video camera next to my head and I can see into my nose and view my mucus membranes--it isn't a pretty picture, especially when you are sick.

The doctor prescribes 3 days worth of antibiotics, which sets off another round of foreboding, as I know the camera will be used again.

"Come back again in 3 days," he says.

I am thinking about appealing to him on my next visit:

"Doctor, I am still sick. I know it.  Please give me 4 more days of medicine and no camera this time.  OK?" 

No comments: