Saturday 6 October 2012

Yeah! New Book!

My advanced student and I agreed on a new book to read.

Brief history: we have read "When You Reach Me", "Holes", and Agatha Chrtistie's "And Then There Were None" mystery, which was a bit difficult, given that some of the vocabulary is outdated (the novel was written 70 years ago) and the story is heavy on descriptive adjectives.  Then we read--or I should say my student read, in one week--the sequel to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" which is entitled "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator".  Fun, but much too easy.

(As an aside, I had to ask my student to summarize the book for me--a good experience for her--since she finished the book before the copy our school ordered for me arrived.  Kind of strange and another "first" . . .)

The mom selected the last two books, but this time I suggested I choose the book, so we are going to read Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass".

I have high hopes that my student will love the novel, which continues on . . .

No comments: