Saturday 9 March 2013

Hotmail Scam

Last week I got an interesting email sent to my Hotmail account.

I primarily use Gmail, but I use Hotmail when I don't want to give out my "real" email address.

Anyway, the header read, "Your account has been limited until we hear from you PP-503-472-593" or something like that.

I know, I shouldn't have clicked on it, but I was bored and it seemed like a scam email and I wanted to see what the ruse was.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the typical "Your winning Lotto number is . . .", and it wasn't from a bank in Nigeria.

It was an official-looking email from PayPal (complete with logo, etc.), and it said:

"Someone from the ip address 63.501.80.92 tried to access your account!  Please click on the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away.  You have three days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account.

'Link'

Sincerely,
PayPal Member Services"

I laughed, since 1) I don't have a PayPal account, and 2) I would never deliver up personal account information.

Nice try though.

No comments: